“The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art”Leonardo da Vinci
These top tips to help prevent foot problems are courtesy of the College of Podiatry. Follow these simple steps to help keep your feet in tip-top shape and reduce your risk of developing any problems.
- Wash Your Feet Every Day. Use warm, soapy water and take care to dry your feet well, especially between your toes — this will help to prevent fungal infections, such as athlete’s foot.
- Do Regular Calf Stretches. Get into. routine of doing these every day to help eep your feet supple and to improve flexibility.
- Pay Attention To Your Socks. Wear well-fitting socks and change them every day to avoid sweaty feet.
- Trim Your Toenails. Use proper toenail clippers — and cut them straight across, not too short and not down at the corners, as this can lead to ingrowing toenails.
- Keep Your Feet Moistruised. If the skin on your feet is dry, put moisturiser on your feet before you go to bed, avoiding between the toes (this can lead to fungal infections).
- Wear The Right Footwear. It is important to make sure your shoes are the right size for your feet. Buy footwear in the afternoon when your feet are at their largest. Get your feet measured if you are unsure of your size.
- Rotate Your Shoes. Try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row, to reduce your chances of developing a fungal infection.
- Vary Your Heel Height. Keep high heels for special occasions, as regular use can damage your feet.
- Check Your Feet Regularly. Giving your feet the once over every week will help you spot any possible problems quickly.